Assistant Professor of Statistics and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
456 West Hall
Department of Statistics
University of Michigan
1085 South University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1107
- Variational and decentralized statistical inference
- Nonparametric Bayesian statistics
- Learning in networks and distributed systems
- Learning with images, signals, and texts; with spatio-temporal and functional data
Statistics 415, Data Mining and Statistical Learning
Statistics 601, Multivariate and Categorical Data Analysis
700, Probabilistic Graphical Models
Ph.D., 2007 (computer science); University of California, Berkeley
MA, 2007 (statistics); University of California, Berkeley
- Sequential detection of multiple change points in networks: A graphical model approach. A. Amini and X. Nguyen. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, to appear, 2013.
- Convergence of latent mixing measures in finite and infinite mixture models . X. Nguyen. Annals of Statistics, 41(1), 370--400, 2013.
- The Dirichlet labeling process for clustering functional data.X. Nguyen and A. E. Gelfand. Statistica Sinica 21(3), 1249-1289, 2011.
- Inference of global clusters from locally distributed data. X. Nguyen. Bayesian Analysis, 5(4), 817--846, 2010.
- Estimating divergence functionals and the likelihood ratio by convex risk minimization. X. Nguyen, M. J. Wainwright and M. I. Jordan. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 56(11), 5847--5861, 2010.
- On surrogate loss functions and f-divergences. X. Nguyen, M. J. Wainwright and M.I. Jordan. Annals of Statistics, 37(2), 876--904, 2009.
- On optimal quantization rules in some problems in sequential decentralized detection. X. Nguyen, M. J. Wainwright and M. I. Jordan. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 54(7), 3285--3295, 2008.
- Nonparametric decentralized detection using kernel methods. X. Nguyen, M. J. Wainwright and M. I. Jordan.IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 53(11), 4053--4066, 2005.
- A kernel-based learning approach to ad hoc sensor network localization. X. Nguyen, M. I. Jordan and B. Sinopoli. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 1, 134--152, 2005.
2007 IEEE Signal Processing Society's Young Author Best Paper Award
2007 Leon O. Chua Award for outstanding research achievement in an area of nonlinear science, UC Berkeley
2004 Best paper award (with M. Wainwright and M. I. Jordan), International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML)
Bronze Medal, 33rd International Mathematical Olympiad, Moscow, Russia
Back to Faculty List