(70) Almirall D., Nahum-Shani, I., Sherwood, N.E., Murphy S.,(accepted 2014; in press). Introduction to SMART Designs for the Development of Adaptive Interventions: With Application to Weight Loss Research. Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy and Research.
(69) Kasari C., Kaiser A., Goods K., Nietfeld J., Mathy P., Landa R., Murphy S.,Almirall D. (in press) Communication Interventions for Minimally Verbal Children with Autism: Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
(68) Lagoa, C.M., Bekiroglu, K., Lanza, S.T. & S.A. Murphy(in press) Designing Adaptive Intensive Interventions Using Methods from Engineering. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
Bekiroglu, K., Lagoa, C., Murphy S.& Lanza, S. T.(in press). A robust MPC approach to the design of treatments. Proceedings of the 52nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control
Chakraborty, B. and S.A. Murphy,(2013)
Dynamic Treatment Regimes.
Annual Review of Statistics and Its Application
Vol. 1: 447-464 (Volume publication date January 2014)
First published online as a Review in Advance on August 26, 2013
(67) Kumar, S., W.J. Nilsen, A. Abernethy, A. Atienza, K. Patrick, M. Pavel, W.T. Riley, A. Shar,
B. Spring, D. Spruijt-Metz, D. Hedeker, V. Honavar,
R. Kravitz, R. Craig Lefebvre, D.C. Mohr, S.A. Murphy,(2013)
C. Quinn, V. Shusterman, D. Swendeman, Mobile Health Technology Evaluation,
The mHealth Evidence Workshop. Am J Prev Med;45(2):228-236. PMID:
23867031 [PubMed - in process]
M. Qian, I. Nahum-Shani, S.A. Murphy,(2013)
Dynamic Treatment Regimes, Book chapter in Modern Clinical Trial Analysis ,
edited by X. Tu and W. Tang, Springer Science, pgs. 127-148. PMC Exempt-invited review.
Nahum-Shani, I., Xi, L., Henderson, M.M., S.A. Murphy,(2013). Innovative experimental design for developing effective technology-supported help-Seeking interventions. Book chapter to appear in Advances in Help Seeking Research and Applications: The Role of Information and Communication Technologies.. S.A. Karabenick and M. Puustinen (Eds). Information Age Publishing. PMC Exempt-invited review.
Laber, E.B., S.A. Murphy,
Adaptive inference after model selection.
submitted. To obtain a copy, send email to
(66) Almirall D, Griffin BA, McCaffrey DF, Ramchand R, Yuen RA and Murphy S.A.,(2013; e-pub ahead of print).
"Time-varying effect moderation using the structural nested mean model: estimation using inverse-weighted regression with residuals."
Statistics in Medicine. DOI:10.1002/sim.5892. PMID:
To obtain a copy, send email to
(63) Almirall D., Compton S.N., Rynn M.A., Walkup J.T., S.A. Murphy,
SMARTer Discontinuation Trials: With Application to the Treatment of Anxious Youth.
To appear in the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. To obtain a copy, send email to
(62) Little RJ, D Agostino R, Cohen ML, Dickersin K, Emerson SS, Farrar JT, Frangakis C, Hogan JW, Molenberghs G, S.A. Murphy, Neaton JD, Rotnitzky A, Scharfstein D, Shih W, Siegel JP and H Stern. (2012). The Prevention and Treatment of Missing Data in Clinical Trials.
New England Journal of Medicine. vol. 367:1355-1360. PMID: 23034025 PMCID: PMC3771340
(59) D. Almirall, S. N. Compton, M. Gunlicks-Stoessel,
S.A. Murphy (2012). Designing a Pilot Sequential Multiple Assignment
Randomized Trial for Developing an Adaptive Treatment Strategy. Statistics in
Medicine 31(17):1887-1902. PMCID: PMC3399974
E.Laber, M. Qian, D. Lizotte, W.E. Pelham and
S.A. Murphy (2011).
Statistical Inference in Dynamic Treatment Regimes.
Revision of Univ. of Michigan, Statistics Department Technical Report 506,
Revised Tech Report
S.M. Shortreed, E. Laber T.S. Stroup, J. Pineau and
S.A. Murphy (2011). An imputation strategy for sequential multiple assignment
randomized trials. To obtain a copy, send email to
(54)R. Fonteneau, S.A. Murphy, L. Wehenkel and D. Ernst (2011). Towards min max generalization in reinforcement learning.
In Agents and Artificial Intelligence: International Conference, ICAART 2010, Valencia, Spain, January 2010, Revised
Selected Papers, Series: Communications in Computer and
Information Science (CCIS), Volume 129, J. Filipe, A. Fred, and B. Sharp (Editors), pp. 61-77. Springer, Heidelberg.
, To obtain a copy, send email to
R. Fonteneau, S.A. Murphy, L. Wehenkel and D. Ernst.
Generating informative trajectories by using bounds on the return of control policies ".
In Proceedings of the Workshop on Active Learning and Experimental Design 2010 (
in conjunction with AISTATS 2010), 2-page highlight paper,
Chia Laguna, Sardinia, Italy, May 16 2010.
(49)Fonteneau, R., S.A. Murphy , L.Wehenkel and D. Ernst (2010).
Model-Free Monte Carlo-like Policy Evaluation.
In Proceedings of The Thirteenth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS 2010),
JMLR W&CP Volume 9, pages 217-224, Chia Laguna, Sardinia, Italy, 13-15 May 2010. This paper was also published in the proceedings of CAp 2010.
(48) H. McGowan, R.L. Nix, S.A. Murphy, K.L. Bierman and CPPRG (2010). Investigating
the Effects of Selection Bias in Dose-Response Analyses of Preventive Interventions . Text file with simulation code can be found
here. Prevention Science, vol: 11, pgs 239-251. PMC3044506
(44)Almirall D, Coffman CJ, Yancy, Jr. WS, S.A. Murphy. 2010.
Structural Nested Models.
In Analysis of Observational Health-Care Data
Using SAS (eds D. Faries, A. Leon, JM Haro & RL Obenchain) Cary NC: SAS Institute,
pgs. 231-262. This was externally reviewed.
(35) J. Pineau, M.G. Bellemare, A. J. Rush, A. Ghizaru, S.A. Murphy (2007).
Constructing evidence-based treatment strategies using methods from computer science. Drug and
Alcohol Dependence, 88, Supplement 2:S52-S60. PMC1934348
(34)L.M. Collins, S.A. Murphy, V. Strecher (2007). The Multiphase Optimization Strategy (MOST)
and the Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial (SMART): New Methods for More Potent e-Health Interventions.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine , 32(5S):S112-118.
To obtain a copy send email to Linda Collins PMC2062525
Y. Xie, S. Murphy (2007). Discussion of
Principal Stratification Designs to Estimate Input Data Missing due to Death, by Frangakis, Rubin, An, and MaKenzie,
Biometrics, 63:655-658. To obtain a copy send email to Yu Xie
L.M. Collins, J.R. McKay, D.W. Oslin & S.A. Murphy(2005). The Intervention Science in the Service of Clinical Art:
The Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial (SMART),
To obtain a copy send email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
(30) K.A. Bierman, R.L. Nix, J.J. Maples, S.A. Murphy and CPPRG (2006),
Examining Clinical Judgment in an
Adaptive Intervention Design: The Fast Track Program
To obtain a copy, send email to
email@example.com Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
Jun;74(3):468-81. 2006 PMC2753970
Murphy, S.A. (1994),
Consistency in a Proportional Hazards Model Incorporating a Random
Effect, Annals of Statistics, 22 712-731.
Murphy, S. ,
M. Smit and
Contributions to the Design and Statistical Analysis of in vivo
SCE Experiments. Mutation Research,271 39-48.
Testing for a Time Dependent Coefficient in Cox's Regression Model,
Scandinavian Journal of Statistics,20 25-50.
(3) Murphy, S.A. and
P.K. Sen (1991),
Time Dependent Coefficients in a Cox-type Regression Model,
Stochastic Processes and Their Applications ,39 153-180.
(2) Jauhar, P.,
P. Henika ,
S. Murphy and B. Margolin (1988),
1,3- Butadiene: Induction Micronucleated Erythrocytes in the
Peripheral Blood of BbC3F1 Mice Exposed by Inhalation for
Thirteen Weeks. Mutation Research , 209 171-176.
(1) Murphy, S.,
W. Caspary and B. Margolin
A Statistical Analysis for the Mouse Lymphoma Cell Forward
Mutation Assay, Mutation Research 203 145-154.